Monday, December 28, 2015


7/28/15

AIA PF August 2015 Newsletter

Member Spotlight – Nazanin Zarkesh, AIA
If not now, never 

By Lance Bird, FAIA
Principal LCDG

July 1st Nazanin and Lance met for lunch at Universal CityWalk to talk about her recent move to Universal Studios Hollywood-Creative. Nazanin was with LCDG for nearly 13 years. 

LB:  What inspired you to move from a traditional architectural practice to become a Corporate Architect?

NZ:  I always wanted to experience a larger firm with more opportunities for growth. I was at a point in my life that I needed a big change. If not now, never.  As we get older, it gets harder to make changes and who would say “no” to Universal Studios. I like the short commute.  I’m able to attend more of my son’s school activities.  His school is in the neighborhood.  I’m getting to know my own community. 

LB:  What are the notable differences in your day to day activities?

NZ: Walk in the Park and CityWalk.  More meetings.  More stakeholders.  Lots of new things to learn and to do for each projects (which I love).  It’s challenging not to know the players, rules and language.  I worry less about getting plan check approval as I hire A-E firms to do that part. But I review their drawings to make sure they are coordinated and meet the project’s intent. 

LB:  What are the challenges…and the fun aspects of Universal?

NZ:  The challenges have to do with so many unknowns (I’m a newcomer).  Politics.  I need to keep everyone informed and happy, yet I can’t always be the nice guy.  Every project has a specific goal, budget and schedule.  The most important one is the schedule.  There is a short period in the year when most construction happens. At Universal, it’s about keeping our “guests” happy.   

I like the social part.  They are laid back and fun.  They joke and laugh. There are more choices for friends.  This is the entertainment world.  They talk about movies, concerts and what’s new in the park.   By working here, we become a member of the Themed Entertainment Association (TEA) and can attend events for free.  It’s fun to walk through the park and have our projects right here. 

LB:  Do you think working in the entertainment industry takes a certain personality/ aptitude?

NZ:  Absolutely.  You have to be flexible and sociable.  If criticized, you have to remain open and learn from it.  An older person might have a hard time. 

LB:  Would you suggest this kind of move to your colleagues?

NZ:  Yes.  You will learn from any change. The entertainment industry is different from the typical office and school projects I was doing. Working as the owner project manager, I need to know every little detail of the existing infrastructure to inform the A-E and the contractor. I have learned so much about electrical requirements, amps, watts, circuit breakers -- things I relied on my consultants for, but now need to know so I am on top of my game.

LB:  As a Corporate project manager, you are working with architects from the other side of the table – can you share any shortcomings you see AND/OR positive attributes of architects you are working with? 

NZ:  There are so many in house coordination needs to be done, so when it is time to hire/work with an architect, we need someone who is responsive, provides a complete proposal and is easy to work with. Our frustration is working with A-E teams that do poorly coordinated work.  We appreciate firms who are proactive not reactive.